Thursday 8 August 2013

Fixing day!

The first thing I did today was go out and buy a 2x6x12' pressure treated board and some shims.  On the way back I swung by my bother's and picked up his table saw.  I shimmed up the 2nd last board to the proper height and marked the 2x6 on both sides.  A quick snap of the chalk line and then I ran it thru the table saw.  Now the floor is pretty close to level!  The left rear outrigger how ever is good at the front but out at the back, another quick run to Home Depot for a 2x8 :-(  This time I had to use the circular saw to make up for the slant on the board.  I don't know what I was thinking when I did the welding on that side.
In the afternoon I measured the diagonals to make sure the whole structure is a square and not a trapezoid.  One diagonal was 288" and the other is 289", a quick check with Google and I came across this:

 Handbook of Construction Tolerances by David Kent (McGraw-Hill) lists hundreds of suggested tolerances for various phases of construction.

According to the Handbook , horizontal building layout (including the foundation) involves both dimensional accuracy and squareness. For measurements less than 10 feet, the tolerance is 1/8 inch; between 10 and 100 feet, it’s 1/4 inch (see illustration, below). For squareness, the tolerance for the dimension of the 5-leg in a 3-4-5 triangle measured with a steel tape is 3/4 inch in 100 feet. Use the same ratio for diagonals of less than 100 feet. For example, when measuring a 50-foot diagonal, the acceptable tolerance would be 3/8 inch (one-half the tolerance for the 100-foot diagonal).

Foundations walls should be level within 1/4 inch in 10 feet, while the entire foundation should be level within 1/2 inch.

The Handbook states that there is no single accepted tolerance for rough framing, although a tolerance of 1/4 inch in 10 feet is frequently used and is acceptable. The second edition of Standards for the Professional Remodeler (NAHB Remodelors Council, available from the NAHB Bookstore at 800/223-2665) requires that walls and floors be plumb and level within 1/4 inch in 32 inches. This seems overly generous when you consider that it would allow an 8-foot wall to be up to 3/4 inch out of plumb.

So on my 24' diagonals I was allowed to be out 3/16 of an inch from each other, I'm at 1".  I'm going to have to pull all the screws and plywood, square it up and re-screw it.  Crap.

Expenses to date $,538

No comments:

Post a Comment