Wednesday 21 August 2013

Why I did not build with SIPs.

I got the estimate back for the SIPs yesterday.  I expected it to be in the 3,000 to 5,000 range.  I opened the email and saw $9,200!!!! =O

This morning I called another company, they where nice enough to give me some numbers so I could ball park the cost.  This time it came to about $7,000 with a 6 to 8 week delivery time.  (Edit this second estimated ending up being $9,500)

I did up a spread sheet to estimate how much a stick build would cost.  I included sheathing, framing, insulation, vapor barrier and a large cushion. My estimate is $3500.

I love spreadsheets.

I've been using one to track my expenses so I just added a few numbers for the siding and windows to get my "dry in" price.  With SIPs I would be around $19,000, stick build $15,500.  Add on plumbing, electrical, cabinets and it starts to add up.  Granted I'll have more time to look for bargains which would help.

No comments:

Post a Comment